Presentations and Handouts from the August 2010 Nursing Orientation
Use the OCCcat to locate books in the library on your topic:
- Perform a word or phrase search using keywords such as "pathophysiology" or "nursing AND managed care." Word or phrase searches will search the entire records of all the items in the catalog, including author, title, and subject areas.
- Perform a subject search using a keyword such as "gerontology" to search for items on a specific topic.
Use the following databases to access Nursing articles:
- All of the following EBSCOHost databases are relevant for Nursing/Allied Health information:
Many specialized databases offer assistance for advanced searching. In particular, specialized databases may make use of controlled vocabulary terms. Click here to read the library's CINHAL controlled vocabulary guide. Please note: each database is unique and will have its own features and options, but you can use this guide to learn more about controlled vocabularly terms and how they can assist your searching.
- The library subscribes to a number of print periodicals, many of which are not available through the databases. See a list of current Nursing periodicals (PDF) as well as instructions for accessing EJournals from home or campus.
|Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)||Links to CDC publications and data|
|Dilution Theory and Problems||Explains how dilution works and offers sample questions. From Florida State University's Biological Science department|
|EKG Strip Identification and Evaluation||Information, including diagrams, on how to read EKG strips, components of the EKG waveform, and electrode placement|
|HRLC: HealthSavvy Links Tutorials||Features tutorials on searching and evaluating online health resources|
|Lab Tests Online||A public resource on clinical lab testing|
|National Institutes of Health (NIH)||Access NIH newsletters and research|
|OR Live: Live and On-Demand Medical Webcasts||View webcasts of a variety of medical procedures taking place in real-life ORs.|
|PubMed Central||U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) free digital archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature|
- American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN)
- American Nurses Association (ANA)
- American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science (ASCLS)
- Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN)
- Emergency Nurses Association (ENA)
- National League for Nursing (NLN)
- National Student Nurses Association (NSNA)